Why do I need to have my chimney / flue swept?
Chimneys need to allow the free passage of dangerous combustion gasses. Regular sweeping will remove soot, bird nests, cobwebs and any other blockages. It also removes creosote, which will help to prevent dangerous chimney fires. Chimney Sweeping will also increase the efficiency of some appliances.
How often does my chimney need sweeping?
Frequency will depend on a number of factors which include the type of fuel used, appliance, duration of use, moisture content of wood fuel, and the type of chimney you have. Your Chimney Sweep will be able to advise on the sweeping frequency during the appointment. The sweeping frequencies below are for guidance purposes only:-
- Smokeless fuel: At least once a year
- Wood: Quarterly when in use
- Bituminous coal: Quarterly when in use
- Oil: Once a year
- Gas: Once a year
Will having my Chimney Swept make a mess?
I am very mindful and conscious of making as little mess as possible, and in fact trained in the prevention of dust escaping during sweeping. However, there are exceptional circumstances e.g. if a chimney may be blocked with a birds nest, which makes it difficult to guaranteed that no mess will be made.
What should I do to prepare for the sweep’s visit?
Normally i will need a clear passage to the chimney and adequate space to work in. I may suggest you clear any ornaments from the hearth and mantelpiece, and perhaps you could clear the grate of any fuel, ash or rubbish etc before I arrive.
Why do I need to see the brush out the top of the chimney?
I normally show you this to demonstrate that the flue has been swept throughout its length.
Prices and services
- £60 to sweep standard flue or lined chimney to national standards and issue a certificate
- Nest removal starting from £75 (CCTV is always used for removal to ensure it’s all removed)
- Carbon monoxide alarms supplied and fitted from £25
- Bird guards, cowls and pots supplied and fitted from £120 (site visit required to give exact price)