Following a chimney fire at a house in Giantswood Lane, Congleton, firefighters are urging the townFollowing a chimney fire at a house in Giantswood Lane, Congleton, firefighters are urging the town’s residents to be extra vigilant when using open fires and wood burning stoves in their homes.
A crew was called to the house at 11.40am on Wednesday 22nd October after a fire broke out in the chimney. They used chimney rods to put out the fire and inspected the loft area to make sure there was no fire spread.
The demand for wood burners and open fires has increased over the last couple of years as families struggle with the cost of fuel. So it is important that extra care is taken and chimneys are swept on a regular basis to prevent a fire in the home or business.
Station Manager for Congleton, Stewart Forshaw, explained: “With the colder, winter months looming, people will begin to start using open fires and their chimneys again. In order to keep you and your family safe from fire, you need to take necessary steps such as ensuring your chimney is swept regularly, depending upon what fuel you burn, and I would urge all householders to have a working smoke alarm in their home.”
- Smokeless coals – At least once a year
- Wood – Up to four times a year
- Bituminous coal – Twice a year
- Oil – Once a year
- Gas – Once a year
In addition to keeping chimneys and flues clear you should also:
Always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers
Make sure embers are properly put out before you go to bed
Stewart added: “Last year we had over 60 chimney fires in Cheshire East. These fires can lead to widespread damage of a property, so we are hoping that by following these simple steps we can reduce the number of incidents.
In 2013/14 there have been 105 chimney fires across Cheshire, with 63 of those being in Cheshire East.
Audlem firefighters attended 4 chimney fires
Bollington firefighters attended 5
Congleton firefighters attended 9
Crewe firefighters attended 9
Holmes Chapel firefighters attended 3
Knutsford firefighters attended 6
Macclesfield firefighters attended 13
Nantwich firefighters attended 3
Poynton firefighters attended 3
Sandbach firefighters attended 3
Wilmslow firefighters attended 5
In 2012/13 there were 128 chimney fires across Cheshire with 73 of those being in Cheshire East
In 2011/12 there were 96 chimney fires across Cheshire with 47 of those being in Cheshire East’s residents to be extra vigilant when using open fires and wood burning stoves in their homes.